Cindy Compert - Landscape of the Soul
Since I accepted my first commission at the age of 15, I've been focusing on the “Landscape of the Soul”, the natural world, and how the soul interacts with the mystical qualities of the landscape. I'm a 'plein air' (outdoor on location) painter and get much of my inspiration from painting outdoors in nature, especially flowers and the beautiful rocky coast of California. Listening to the sounds of the wind, rustling leaves, surf, birds, and sometimes, just plain silence is something that translates directly into my work. Beyond that, there are almost always shapes and symbols that my subconscious decides to paint for me. That's the really interesting part! Frequently I don't even see them until later and in some cases, when someone else points them out. What is it that you see?
I'm a member of the California Art Club, Redondo Beach Art Group and International Pastel Society (via the Pastel Society of Southern California). I am also proud to be listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for my participation in the 2010 Pasadena Chalk Art Festival, the world's largest chalk painting event. Commissions are happily accepted.
Selected Exhibitions and Commissions:
- "Holiday Treasures Salon 2013"- Debra Huse Gallery, Balboa Island, CA- December 2013
- Randy Higbee Gallery 6" Squared Shows, Costa Mesa, CA 2010, 2011, December 2013
- "CA101" Exhibition- Friends of Redondo Beach Arts- 2012 and June 2013
- Parrot Commission for “Polly’s on the Pier”, Redondo Beach Pier, CA, January 2012
- FlagStop Contemporary Art- Juried Show, Los Angeles- September 2011
- Redondo Beach Art Group Power of Art, Redondo Beach- Shows from 2009-2013
- California Art Club, "Fresh Air, Landscapes of California", Fremont Gallery, Pasadena, CA 7/11
- RBAG Juried Show, Manhattan Beach Creative Arts Center, 5/11
- Cannery Row Gallery- "Halloween Show 2010"
- "Beauty @ The Beach" Juried Show, Redondo Beach Art Group, July-August 2010
- “Surf's Up” Juried Show, California Art Club at Women's City Club of Pasadena, April-August 2010
- Long Beach Bike Festival Plein Air Exhibition, California Art Club, May 2010
- Cannery Row Gallery,“Art for Haiti” Benefit, March 2010
- “Through the Ages” Juried Show, Redondo Beach Art Group and Beach Cities Health District, 2009
- Manhattan Beach Community Arts Festivals, 2007-2009
- “Off the Wall”, Palos Verdes Art Center, October 2009
- “Pasadena City Hall Exhibition”, California Art Club, 2007
Chalk Art Works:
- Chalk it Up! Chalk Festival, sponsored by Sweet Serenity Day Spa, Dr. Tristy Shaw, and Hennessey's Tavern- June 2012 and 2011
- Earth Day Chalk Art Challenge, Redondo Beach Pier, April 2012 and 2011
- Redondo Beach Chalk Festival, August 2010
- Pasadena Chalk Festival- Guinness Book of World Records Winner- June 2010
Wellington C. Mepham High School, Bellmore, NY
Public Places: "Polly's on the Pier", Redondo Beach, CA- parrot mural, 2012
Awards and Recognition:
Guinness Book of World Records, World's Largest Street Chalk Painting, 2010
Manhattan Beach Arts Festival, 3nd Place, 2007
Abraham and Strauss Young Artists Exhibition, Honorable Mention (Countywide
exhibition, Nassau County, NY)
2013 "Power of Art"- Redondo Beach Art Group- Easy Reader Newspaper: http://www.easyreadernews.com/75353/making-ends-meet-connecting-redondo-beach-art-group/ .
2012 "Power of Art"- Redondo Beach Art Group- http://tinyurl.com/9e6kcvp
2011 Redondo Beach Pier Chalk Festival: http://redondobeach.patch.com/events/9th-annual-redondo-pier-chalk-art-festival
2010 Pasadena Chalk Festival:
Cindy is a Winston Scholar and holds a BA in Fine Arts Magna Cum Laude,
Phi Beta Kappa, from New York University. Cindy has also studied with a variety of
fine artists, including David Gallup, Jennifer McChristian, Steven Mirich, Jacobus Baas, Ruo Li, and Min Li, as well as artists with Los Angeles Academy of Figurative Art, Dedalo Arte in Tuscany Italy, and State University of NY.